Sew a Simple 2 Panel Skirt

Hello Sisters!

If you are like me, you may have a hard time finding skirts that are long enough and not adorned.  If so, I have come up with a really quick and basic skirt you can easily sew (if I can sew it anyone can!) and simple to adjust to your measurements.

Below you will find a rough hand sketch of how to do it.  My suggestion is to make the bottom as wide as possible so it's easier to walk depending on how long your walking stride is.

On the instructions it says to fold the fabric which worked for the piece I had, you may need to buy 2 pieces and lay them out separately, which is easy to do as well.  


Add caption


First you want to lay out your fabric with the good side facing each other.  

Take your waist measurement and divide it by 2 then add 2 inches. (I encourage you to be generous on the measurements) 

Mark that on the top of the fabric for the waist.  Draw a chalk angle line outward to the bottom then cut. Make sure to angle wide enough be generous over your hips.


Hope you can read my writing:-)

Once cut you want to sew one side all the way up and the other side you want to sew up to the waist until 2-3" from the top.  That will leave you allowance to let the skirt slide up past the hips.  You can adjust this allowance depending on your size, you may want a larger or smaller.

Hem the waist and the bottom and also the open slot on the side.  

Now turn it right side out and you are ready to wear it.  Simple put a safety pin (or two) in the slot to hold it closed on your waist. 



I recommend washing the fabric first in case it has shrinkage and if possible get a material you cannot see through. 

If you are desperate and have absolutely nothing to wear and you need something fast, you can buy a bed sheet or two and make a skirt from that to get you by until you have a better option of materials. My first one I made was from an old blue bedsheet:-) (Be sure to wear a slip under it though as that material is very thin.)

Seriously, I made one of these and have never had any sewing experience but was desperate to find something to cover myself with. I suggest going bigger rather than smaller because it's easy to take it in a little here and there if need be. 

Here's a video of me talking through it, hope it helps.  (One thing I forgot to mention is to get your length measurement and add a couple inches on to it, but you probably already figured that out:-)




Hey, don't forget that God's Word commands that women be covered in long loose clothing so don't tuck your shirts in, make sure they are long and loose.


This brown skirt is from the pattern.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions. 


Have a joyous day and God be praised!

Sister Deb