Image Idolatry

Good morning sisters!
We have a beautiful sunny day today, the snow storm that was supposed to come yesterday did not so we are rejoicing even more because we thought it would set us behind on our work here.


Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)

We remind ourselves to be content no matter what the situation that way God is glorified and not our flesh in getting what we want all the time which makes for selfism.  Selfism is what satan had by wanting to be God, to be in charge, to be his own God...I want nothing to do with that!

So a couple days ago I made a video inside our van to show you our simple life that isn't all perfect and pretty (like maybe my womanly flesh would like) but functionable and practical. 




It killed some of my image idolatry and in that video I said I would do another video on image idolatry but decided to write it out because I can take my time and outline it and not worry about too many GB upload on a video:-)

Image Idolatry.  Let's first look at the meaning of 'image'.
1. a representation of the external form of a person or thing in art.
2. the general impression that a person, organization, or product presents to the public.

So basically what I'm saying is that we can idolize our image of what the world thinks of us in various areas of our life.  This action turns our mind from the things of God to ourselves. 

Such as...
* Worry about what the world thinks our dress and headcovering look like.
* What we look like without our make up and fashionable clothes.
* What our body looks like. 
* What our house or car looks like.
These are all distractions that take our mind off the things of God and onto things that we think represent who we really are.  Lets break them down.

* What the world thinks of how we godly women look.  God's Word teaches His daughters to not conform to the ways of the world (Romans 12:1-2) that we may know His perfect will, and in this area it's for women to cover themselves in long loose, plain clothing. This is good. If we worry or are concerned about the world mocking us because we obey in God's Word, then we are disgracing Him.  This is evil.  You need to fortify yourself on what is good and what is evil and see the enormity of both so that your spirit will naturally crave what is good regardless of the outcome especially in the area of dress.  We represent a holy God to the world.  Men are the mouthpiece for God, women are the visual example of His order and obedience.  Rejoice sisters, we are a walking billboard of what God's order and holiness is like.  Also in the area of clothing, be careful you don't get caught up in simple issues that arise like wrinkles or spots on clothing.  Let me share with you how I had to kill my flesh in this area:

Because we travel in a tiny home to save the resources God gave us, I only have so much space by which to bring our necessities, including clothing.  Therefore it may be packed tightly in a small area causing wrinkles.  Those same wrinkled clothes that I was wearing would also get a spot on it and I would be all upset thinking I just wrecked a shirt and could not wear it anymore...until brother Jim called me out on this bad mindset.  He would give me that look with his eyebrows up and say 'Should we care about a spot or wrinkle? It's clothing, be thankful.'  Ouch.  I had to really slice that part of me off, praise God it didn't take long:-)

Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, and before honour is humility. Proverbs 18:12)

* What we look like without makeup or fashionable clothing.  God's Word instructs women not to adorn the temple of God with worldly things such as makeup, jewelry and fancy clothes, this is another form of idolatry.  God made our body; HE created it so who are we to punch holes in it, paint colors on it (that's like graffiti) and dress it in worldly clothes like a peacock?  Right off in the beginning I was horrified to go into public without any makeup but that didn't last long when I read that only harlots wore makeup and dressed like that.  God straitaway changed my mind on that!
We were bought with a price and our body is NOT our own.  
For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. 
(1 Corinthians 6:20)

* What our body looks like.  Women seem to have this as the biggest problem, obsession over their body.  It's never skinny enough, shapely enough, too tall or short the list goes on and on.  Countless hours (in a lifetime) are spent front of a mirror turning this way and that, examining each lump or bump, sag or bag, wrinkle or spot.  We obsess over that few pounds that creep up on us as we age or have children, we moan over loose skin or wrinkles that come as our youth passes.  We stress over our size or weight to the point of spending hours researching each calorie eaten or burned; striving for a body that our imagination has created saying we will be satisfied then but in the meantime everyone (including ourselves) is miserable because of the outward actions that come from us.  Can't eat bread because the news says it's not good, or get rid of the grains because of grain belly.  Don't eat pasta because of the gycemic index. Do the cabbage or banana diet but don't eat avacados.  

Just eat some food and get on with life! We need to find a simple balance and accept what happens to this body that will some day be dust.  Eat and be done with it.  Take a walk and be done with it.  Alter a dress and skirt and be done with it.  Move on to what's important....doing the will of God.  Repent of the sin of image idolatry and if you need to bust up your scale (like I did) or break your full length mirrors....do it!  

And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.  (Matthew 5:25-30)

* What our house or car looks like.  Oftentimes people extend part of who they are through their house or vehicle, worrying what others will think about them if it's mismatched, plain or not as sparkly clean as they want it.  We are to be the keepers at home but let us not attach our image to it and just be thankful for what we have.  God's Word says to be thankful for food and raiment, how much more is a house that should just be shelter, not part of who we are.  I've never been a big 'showy house' kind of person at all BUT I did worry about dirt and mess to the excess that brother Jim had to correct me on that as well. Now I do what I can each day to tidy my home but spend the majority of my time on what's important.  If your house has some dirt on the floor, some dishes in the sink and a few piles of things that need to be organized but you are taking care of what's most important then who cares what anyone thinks if they see it? Be a Mary not a Martha.
And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. (1 Timothy 8)

As a summary to all this I will share with you my journey.  I thank the Lord for providing me with clothing to cover me (clothing is a sin cover).  I'm thankful that the Lord showed me the sin of pride and vanity and I washed off the make up, threw away all my jewelry, tossed out my fancy immodest clothing and thanked God that He didn't kill me in my sinfulness. I used to obsess over everything about body image but now I eat something and move on.  I don't worry about a few extra pounds or inches, wrinkles or spots and just give God glory for giving me another day to serve Him in the body that I have with whatever health I have to do it. Our house and vehicle are minimal and functionable and I thank the Lord for giving us shelter and transportation.   I will not worry about what man thinks over what my Father has provided for me.

And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God. (Luke 16:15)

If you are partaking of any of these sins, please repent as you will move on to holiness through your obedience.  A sister emailed and said that the longer she obeys the more she sees her feelings on these issues dropping off.  
Amen, that comes through time and maturity but you won't get there until you obey amen sisters?

Check out this verse:


For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts? (James 2:2-4)

I hope this has been both a conviction and encouragement for you.

Have a joyous day!
Love in Christ,
Sister Deb

The biblical gospel...