Wrestling Against the Spiritual Wickedness of High Places

Good evening sisters!
I hope your day was victorious against the wiles of satan, he roams as a lion seeking whom to devour (1 Peter 5:8) and oftentimes those who are the victims are usually not at their strongest when he attacks.


Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. (1 Peter 5:8-9)

It says to 'resist' him and there should be some comfort knowing that all the brethren around the world are going through the same fight.  Draw strength from that and don't give up.

Just a couple days ago I was rejoicing at how close we are to setting off on a new venture in our life with more time on the road to witness than we've ever had before but then I realized that I had become comfortable, being secluded here for a while, enjoying the safety and comfort of our little place in the country and not having to be on as much guard from the world.  It hit me that I had not been preparing myself spiritually for the battle we are about to embark upon.  

It's nothing really to go out in the world for short periods of time, witnessing and dealing with people who reject the things of God, because in the back of your mind you realize there is an escape waiting for you shortly, your home, your own piece of privacy.  But once you leave and go....there is no escape.  We are at the mercy of the world because it all belongs to them, for now.  Yes, he can come after us anywhere, even in the refuge of our own home but what I find is it's harder in the battlefield of the world, to keep standing strong day after day after day and so we must prepare for it, so we are strong and able.

I thought about the fact that I need to take time to focus my mind and that this is a spiritual battle that I need to be ready for: 
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (Ephesians 6:12)

Yes 'spiritual wickedness in high places' that's for sure.  We experienced that wickedness creeping itself right into our refuge here.  I find it ironic that one day I'm being reminded to be strong and the very next day we experience a couple acts of vile wickedness. Satan hates the Word of God and will do anything to stop it from going out.  But it won't stop us, it just proves even more that His word is true.

Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you. 
(1 John 3:13)

If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.  If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. (John 15:18-19)

Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. (2 Timothy 3:12)

And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. (Matthew 24:12)

It's a cold dark world and it's going to get worse, we must always be on guard, ready to wrestle against (resisting) the 'spiritual wickedness of high places' that comes in many forms.  

But we can rejoice because our Father is on our side, He's watching over us and nothing can happen without Him knowing.  

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. (John 16:33)

Brother Jim and another brother were talking recently about how if we leave everything behind it's much easier to look at what's ahead in eternity, especially when it comes to the end of our life.  But if we are clinging to what's on this earth (especially people), it will be harder to let go.

I love letting this life go and I look forward to what's ahead.  It wasn't always that way though to be honest with you.  When I was a brand new babe in Christ I was clinging to the thought that I was needed here to witness to our children, grandchildren, family and friends and I knew I didn't love God more than everyone else.  I knew this was wrong and cried out to Him to change my heart and help me transform to where I loved Him most and looked forward to being with Him in eternity...and could leave behind those who reject Him.  Through prayer, giving up my will for His will, time, experiences and maturity, I now look forward to what's ahead, leaving all this behind for Him to deal with.  That doesn't mean I don't care anymore, it means I have the right focus, on things above and not on this earth. (Colossians 3:2)

And I need to keep that focus when we venture out because these recent acts of wickedness has shown me that it's only just begun and I need to be a strong helper for my husband.  I can't be standing on the battlefield crying for the lost (as I've done before) when I need to be a strong bold light. I can't be taken off guard by the person satan is obviously using to taunt us with their demonic activity right in front of our faces.  (I've been taught lessons on that.)  I can't be swept away with the sadness of how dark and spiritually dead most people are and wonder where are all the Christians shining the light of truth.  (They are scattered and they are few.)  I can't get discouraged when people twist what we have written and taught, making it into a lie. (They do that all the time.)  Being out in the world makes one feel very small, as one grain of sand along the shores of the ocean and we feel out numbered and at times it seems pointless....



But, we must look at that awesome gift, the precious Word of God that we have to share with the world!  And by shining the light we will help the lost sheep.  

Many years ago, before I was a new creation, I was coming out of my slumber, seeking something but had no clue where to look or how to find it. One day I was sitting in my office after having just gotten back from being gone for over a week traveling for business and I was told they need me to leave again in a few days and I looked out my office door at everyone walking by and I thought 'There's got to be more to life than this. I'm going to do this until the day I die?  Then what?  What's the point of all this?'
Then shortly after that was a Sunday and I was sitting in the 'church service' looking around at everyone thinking 'There are no answers here. I almost committed suicide last night and nobody here would have cared if I died. They talk about God being love but there's no love in them.'  I left and never went back but I was on a search for answers.

If someone would have been standing outside that religious building that day with a gospel sign, I would have begged them for those answers.  If I would have seen them at the intersection of the town I was driving through I would have stopped.  

We are today....who I was looking for back then.

We try to be a light of truth, a beacon of hope, a seed planted...out in the world in hopes that we might help point a lost sheep in the right direction.



As I was writing this last night, brother Jim was out carving, trying to finish up so we can pack up today and get ready to go when he got a phone call and stopped to talk to a man who is wanting to strive in the things of God. He is  forsaking his sin as he learns of it and brother Jim stayed out there talking until very late.  When he came in, he shared the conversation with me and then said that the young man told him he's thankful that we are out in the world doing what we are doing, to help people like him.  I had just written that sentence above...

"We are today....who I was looking for back then."

What an awesome confirmation and strength builder for me at the very time I needed it and I hope you read this article and it encourages you, just when you need it.  Our Father cares about us and He works in wondrous ways to encourage us. 


We are all in the battle of truth against darkness and we all have to be prepared and strong. Some are on the front lines of the battle, some are in the middle as prayer warriors and some are raising the next generation of soldiers.  

No man, when he hath lighted a candle, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on a candlestick, that they which enter in may see the light. For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad. (Luke 8:16-17)

We know who our adversary is, he's been identified and we've been given the protection (Ephesians 6 armor) and the tool (Word of God John 1) by which to do battle for the truth which is against 'he who is the wickedness of high places'. 

We also know who wins in the end...Praise God for that!

March on sisters!

Love in Christ,
Sister Deb


The biblical gospel...