Being a Joyous Keeper at Home

Greetings sisters!
I pray this day finds you well and striving on in the Word of God.

I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:13)

As brother Jim and I are out in the world, him doing the work of an evangelist (1 Timothy 4) and I being his helper (Genesis 2), we are always encouraging each other with this verse:


And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. (Galatians 6:9)


Amen, let us all continue to press on!


While we were traveling to our destination the other night I was thinking about how joyous it is to be a keeper at home.  Mine just happens to be a home that needs oil changes and always moving:-) but just the same, all of us godly women should be thankful for the role God has given us.  


There were some years in my life right before I was transformed by the gospel, that I hated being a woman and strove hard to be equal and above men.  I succeeded in many ways but while I was in that mess, it was such a burden.  I was so thankful when I was born again that I could have the role of a woman and not be ashamed of it.  Sin is wicked and it infiltrates us in so many ways, making us who we don't want to be...but praise God for His forgiveness and each day is new when you serve Him.


Before we were traveling for the gospel, I had many years of being a keeper at home on our homesteads. I really enjoyed it and was thanking God for the opportunity to do all that because I had just come from a wretchedly stressful job in the corporate world, traveling all over the place and not being home much.  Once I was out of there and learning how to be a godly woman, I was also new to homesteading and looking into the new info I had to learn.  I went on the internet to teach me how to raise animals, grow a garden, make salves, tinctures and hygiene items, cook everything healthy from scratch, modify clothing with my sewing machine etc.  I learned a lot there BUT I also learned how to be discouraged.  I had a hard time keeping up (partially because I took on more than one person could handle at a time) but mostly because the blogs I read and the videos I watched, made it all look simple and the women on the other side looked like they never had problems or ran out of time, doing it all.  They also led me down rabbit trails of complicated instructions, detailed projects and false information.  


What started out as a joyous thing, being a keeper at home and learning the ropes on how to do everything in the homestead, turned into a nightmare of various opinions and information that boggled my mind.  One of the trails I was lead down was the obsession of healthy eating.  Don't eat this, eat that, soak it first, dirty dozen and clean fifteen, blah blah blah.  I look back on that now and see not only how much time and money I wasted, but it also stole my joy.   I came up with my own simple recipes (modified from complicated ones), and use whatever ingredients I have and am joyful in that.







vs  





Another one was learning how to make natural hygiene products.  I started out liking the simple ones and by the time I was done reading all the blogs I was torn between the simple one and loving my family enough to do the complicated, expensive one because you know, if it's complicated it must be better.  I quickly learned how to use the bare minimum, with little to no fuss and I was joyful in that.  




Gardening.  I grew up weeding gardens when I was very young but never planted one so when  it was time for us to start gardening I researched long and hard; taking notes about all the companion plants, PH balance in the soil, spacing etc.  I went so far as to have our garden mapped out on a grid paper and I knew every square inch and what was going to be planted in it.  The garden was laid out, markers with string lined the perfect rows and I worked the depth of the soil by hand at least 2 feet deep.  Then Jim let the chickens in before I planted it and they destroyed the whole thing in a day. I also lost my grid paper.  But guess what? I just shoved the seeds in the soil, prayed that God would give us some harvest, then let it go and we were blessed with bountiful harvests every year:-)  I didn't worry when I couldn't keep up with the weeding, I was simply joyful to be able to do what I could and get what the Lord blessed us with.


I tried to learn how to sew but I don't have that gift of lining everything up perfectly, laying the fabric so it stretches the right way, I lack in accurate measurement etc.  After wasting money and time on fabrics etc....I chose not to regularly sew from scratch and instead I now modify clothing from thrift stores (sometimes I hand sew on the road), or I have found a few clothes on the internet. I'm joyful in that.


A long time ago when the children were very little I was a clean freak (living in a tiny apartment) and sanitized the place every single day, scrubbing nooks and crannies with an old toothbrush and bleach.  As time went on I continued to measure myself against what I used to do and then after learning how to homestead and all the work (and dirt) involved, I stressed out because I could not keep that spotless home any longer.  I finally learned how to let it go and be content with cleaning what 'needed' to be done. Now being on the road, dust is a part of our life; it flies in the windows on the bed, covers the floor and I simply fluff and sweep.  I'm joyful for our tiny moveable home, a place to cook food and lay our head at night.

Men are responsible for leading their home, providing for their family and being the preacher of the gospel.  I have first hand in watching a godly man struggle through a worldly career that he was (thankfully) expelled from (which turned out to be an awesome blessing) and start our own business.  The I saw the weight of the responsibility of him having to find a way to get out in the world to not only proclaim the good news of the gospel but also defend the faith (see Jude) and take care of providing for his family.  This also puts a burden on the man of the family because this arouses haters that threaten the home.  As I compare the life of a godly woman living for Christ in a meek, quiet and shamefaced manner, not having to put themselves in combat zones (like godly men do when preaching the gospel), I'm no longer envious that I can't do that role, I'm joyful that I don't have to.  

There was a time in the beginning of my walk with Christ, shortly after being born again that I was very desirous of having godly women in my life and since then, seeing that narrow is the way and few there be that find it (Matthew 7), I'm content if I'm the only godly woman I know or if the Lord brings them into our lives.  What I've found during our walk is that people come and go...and most often they go so even though it's great to have godly fellowship, I don't attach my joy or peace to people but am simply content and joyous in the Lord, with or without anyone.  

To summarize all this, you might see a pattern here of how a person can have a simple peace and joy in the Lord but can easily be swept away in the world even by such things that are not sinful but can end up being that way because it steals joy.  Our savior commanded us to be of good cheer in John 16:33

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. (John 16:33)

I take that seriously and also take the responsibility for my life and attitude whether it's complicated and stressed or simplistic and joyful. I chose to pluck out what causes me to sin....that which complicates my life, causing stress and confusion, and free myself up to the joy and peace that Christ has offered us.

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27)

I hope this encourages and helps you in your life.

Have a joyous rest of the day.

Love in Christ,
Sister Deb

The biblical gospel...
https://www.dontperish.com/the-gospel.html