Blast From My Past...Hearty Beef and Split Pea Soup with Sweet Potoato

Greetings sisters!
Years ago when I was new in the Lord I had a blog (for a few years) of our Wisconsin homestead.  Then when we began our ministry more full time, I archived the blog and focused on being more of a helper to brother Jim in this area and just recently we decided that it's time for me to do a sisters blog, which is where you are now:-)  Last night I was thinking that I might go check out that old blog and see if there are any posts that I could move over here to share with you and I found some that I'll work on transferring. It looks like I have  posts of recipes, food processing, faith thoughts, natural products, woodstove cooking etc.  Maybe some will be of encouragement to you:-)

Below is a post I copied from 2016 with my thoughts on simplicity and a recipe of:

Hearty Beef and Split Pea Soup with Sweet Potato

It's quite common to hear comments on rising food prices and the difficulty in feeding a family but most often those saying that are not very knowledgeable about simple cooking from scratch.


By simple I mean basic recipes that are wholesome, nourishing, satisfying but not laden with high cost ingredients because they are low in meat and high in grains, legumes, vegetables, broths etc.  

The Pinterest mindset has caused a lot of turmoil in households because many of the recipes on it are costly not only in money but in time as well.  They create a dissatisfaction in simplicity foods and encourage many unhealthy and extra sensory delights that one must continuously try to trump in order to keep the family happy. In our house we have moved away from the regular norm of such recipes and down to the basics, leaving the indulgent recipe for a treat.

When I'm asked how to simplify foods and save money I always have people evaluate what they eat, pick a few of the main dishes and learn how to cook them from scratch.  Now, in saying that, a person should also evaluate what it is they are going to focus on.  Let's take pizza for example because most people like it.  When we have pizza it normally consists of homemade crust, sauce and cheese so it's relatively inexpensive.  However, if a person wants to make a pizza with sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, onions and whatever else is available, then of course the cost is going to rise considerably so it may be best to have that as a treat and not the norm unless you can cut back on ingredients.

I also encourage people to change their diets to more soups and stews.  Not only are they very inexpensive, they are a powerhouse of nutrition and when paired with homemade bread, they are never boring and are very simple to make.  

I happened to use this recipe out of need because I have a gallon jar full of split peas and I accidentally ordered another gallon of them when I thought I was ordering freeze dried peas.  So what is it they say?  Out of necessity comes invention?  Or something like that.



Here is a very hearty and, of course, super simple meal to make that is sure to be a crowd pleaser especially in the chilly winter months ahead.  This has an ample amount of curry and cumin with a touch of ginger.  It's a great slow cooker/crock pot recipe.

This makes 4 very generous helpings.  I didn't measure it out, I just went by the bowls we had and what was left over.  I plan to double it next time as it makes great left overs.

Ingredients:
1/2  Onion chopped
 2  Medium carrots chopped
 2  Celery stalks chopped
 2  Cloves garlic chopped
 1  Medium Sweet Potato
1 1/2 Cups dried split peas (any color)
14 oz broth
1/2 Tablespoon curry powder
1/2 Tablespoon cumin
Beef ** (see notes below)
pinch of ginger
Salt to taste
(Of course if you don't like the seasonings you can use what you like.  It's pretty flexible:-)

Put it all into your pot...



\



....and cook on high about 4-6 hours or you can do as I did, I brought it up to a simmer and put it on the woodstove.  The longer you cook it the more the peas break down.  We ate ours before they totally turned to mush so it had a little more texture to it, either way works great.

**As for the beef, we don't eat much meat so I used about 1/8th - 1/4 lb of ground beef.  You could use any cut, stew meat etc whatever you like.  You could use chicken as well.  Or no meat:-)


It doesn't have much broth left to it as it turns out very thick and hearty with an awesome blend of curry and cumin and a touch of sweet from the sweet potatoes.   

I like recipes to be flexible and uncomplicated, that's what's nice about soups and stews.  If there's something you don't like you can usually substitute something else, that's what makes it work for your family!

Something to consider that most people overlook is the fact that onions, celery and carrots are a main staple of soup and are relatively affordable compared to many other vegetables.   Grains and legumes (beans, peas and lentils) are also very affordable and a person can cook a multitude of delicious meals with the aforementioned foods with very little cost.  

Have a joyful day and God be praised!

Love in Christ,
Sister Deb


The biblical gospel...