Blast from my Past....Quick Pan Bread

Greetings again sisters!
Here is a recipe from my old keepers at home blog on how to make a quick pan bread.  I hope you enjoy it:

There was a time when I would go to the dent and bent and buy some of the better quality bread and put it in the freezer for emergency use, which means I either forgot to make my own or I ran out of time:-)  Over the past couple years I have been wanting to take time to find a way to make a good quality wheat bread in less than the normal time to make bread and I finally have.  If I were to hurry from start to finish, I could do it in about 35 minutes.  It all depends if I spread it thin and cook it on the wood stove or regular stove and if I have the wheat already ground and waiting in the freezer to be made into the next delicious bread.

I'm all about the simplistic route so after getting my mind boggled online with all these fancy ways to make a pan bread, rising times, ingredients etc....I decided to unplug and go figure one out myself.

I have a homemade pizza dough that we really enjoy so I just used that as a basis and went from there.

Here are the ingredients, then I'll tell you how I did it.

2 cups of wheat flour
1 tablespoon yeast
1 teaspoon sugar (boosts the yeast)
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup warm water 

I use fresh ground wheat and it seems to me that store bought ground wheat and my homemade ground wheat absorb water in different amounts so keep in mind that you may need more or less water, you will see as you go.  I have found that it's easier to add flour to a sticky dough than to add water to a dry dough.

All you have to do is wisk the dry goods together, add the water and stir as much as you can.  I use the old fashioned way of a big bowl and a wooden spoon until I can't stir any longer and have to start kneading.

For my recipe, the dough is a bit wet and so I slowly add white flour to it until it can be kneaded. (Maybe 1/2 cup?)
Knead for maybe 5 minutes?  Or until it's relatively smooth and pliable.

Next, let the dough sit while you get the pan ready.

I use a cast iron pan to cook the bread in so I get my pan, oil it generously and set it on the wood stove (or regular stove) to heat up.  Not smoking hot but just enough to where you really don't want to hold your finger on it. Remove it from the heat.

Put the dough in the pan and randomly press it out to fit the shape.  It doesn't have to be perfect and it will shrink back after you let go but that's okay, it will swell as it cooks.  If you use a small pan it will be thick and have to cook longer than if you use a large pan and cook it thinner.  Because this is a quick bread I use a larger pan to hurry the process.

Put a cover on the pan and let it sit maybe 10 minutes.  



Put the pan on the stove at medium heat and cook about 10-15 minutes on each side, or until done.  Timing all depends on how thick or thin it is. 

This is one of Jim's favorite breads because you just rip off a piece and top it with whatever you please.  In this case we dipped it in olive oil that was seasoned with parsley and garlic salt.  





It's also great torn off in chunks and eaten with cheese, dipped in pizza sauce or rip off a piece and put peanut butter and jam on it. (Mmmm that's one of our favorite go to snacks:-)  

For left overs I slice it lengthwise and make french toast out of it the next day and top it with coconut oil and real maple syrup.  Yum....  Coffee and french toast, what a way to start the day.  Praise God for giving us such simple and good foods!

I have also kneaded in Italian spices or garlic and parsley and then when it's cooking I've drizzled olive oil on top and sprinkled spices there as well.  We normally like it plain so that we can use it any way we want.  

Oh and if you like, take some of the dough, before cooking and wrap it around an all natural hotdog (we eat the ones with no nitrates or nitrites or msg etc.) or you can pat out small circles of it and fill it with any type of filling you like.  Fold over, press the edges and bake.  Bread dough is very versatile and with a little experimenting you will find recipes your family enjoys.



Love in Christ,
Sister Deb

The biblical gospel...