Blast From My Past...My Old Fashioned Cook Stove

Hello sisters!
Here is another blast from my past post.  For those of you on a homestead, trying to live a simple and maybe off grid life, you might appreciate this:

********************************************

After we sold the farm at the back of the property and moved up here to our little cabin, we thought about going totally off the grid and therefore tossed out the electric stove that came with the place. Our plan was to add a small wood stove out in the back canning and processing kitchen but based on the heat in an enclosed area, in the summer....well, I decided that a bit more convenience (at this point) would be nice.  So we found a propane stove that does not need electricity to light it, only a match. It's a few years old :-o but in great shape!





It's a very sturdy, hard working piece of equipment.

The most fun aspect about this stove is that the oven takes some finesse to keep the temperature at a constant level so what I've found out, in dealing with such an issue, is that being thankful for everything gives one patience.  

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (1 Thessalonians 5:1)


This particular stove has a temperature dial...that basically means nothing, so instead I use a handy, dandy, trusted old time tool to fix it.  



(Nope, not a hammer:-)

This little gadget makes the stove go from 450 to 350 if you crack open the door and insert it this way...


...and if you want to hold 350 for about 20 minutes before you have to check the temp again, insert it this way...


Of course there are times it's so hot I have to just open the door for a bit and let the excess heat out.  And...there are times I drop the temp too low and have to boost it back up.  I have a small temperature gauge inside the oven that helps me along.

I can certainly attest that having the convenience of putting something in the oven and being able to walk away is a great thing but since we plan to go totally off the grid in Missouri (Lord willing we get there), I better make sure this just continues to be a part of my daily life.  I'm thankful for the simplicity of it; there's not much to break and no electronics so it fits right in with our simple life.  

The only thing that's not simple about it is how heavy it is to move:-)

Have a joyful day!
God be praised!
Love, 
Sister Deb

The biblical gospel...