But By the Grace of God I Am What I Am

Greetings sisters!
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and His grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain... 
(1 Corinthians 15:10)  I didn't finish the verse because I cannot claim that I have labored more than others.  I just wanted to give our Father praise to the fact that I am not who I used to be.

Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. (Romans 6:6)

Amen.

Just yesterday we witnessed a drunken man sleeping in a public place, about to tip over off a chair.  The staff were concerned he would fall and hurt himself so they called the police to see what to do.  The police showed up and we heard them talking, at one point he cried then kept trying to reassure them he would do no harm.  He didn't want to leave so they had to cuff him, thankfully he didn't resist and he calmly walked out the door with them.




It made us sad.

The world looks down on people like that, whose sin is exposed before all.  The culture's mindset is to make people think they are better than that because they don't do those 'big' sins...yet they are riddled with many sins that are unseen.  Those who are unrepentant will suffer in judgment just like those they condemn.

We were no better in our unregenerate state.  In fact there are so many times (I can't even count) that I was so intoxicated or under the influence of a drug and drove home, wondering the next day how I got there...the only difference is that I never got caught like he did.  Brother Jim would say the same as well.

A couple years ago I overheard 2 worldly women talking about a heinous murder of a 9 year old and they both adamantly agreed that the man responsible should burn in hell.  

I grew up with a family that laughed at 'fat' people and picked on those of a different color.

I heard an anabaptist type woman say with disgust that they once had a neighbor man that was a drunkard and her husband had to deal with him.  I asked her if they shared the gospel, the hope of redemption and eternal life and she said 'no'.

I recently heard a Mennonite man say 'I don't care, that's their business' when he was asked why he doesn't share the gospel with the world.  Yet, those same people judge the world and complain about their sins.

Throughout my life I've lived in many towns and in each one there usually was someone who acted a bit odd compared to everyone else.  They would walk along the streets talking to themselves, shaking their heads while conversing with whatever voice was within them, jumping off curbs, staring into space as they walked by.  A lot of the town folk would snicker at them.  Well, there was a point in my life before Christ that I was a lot like them, crazy in my mind.

The power of God is a transformed life.  I cannot believe who I am today compared to who I was when I was lost in my vile sins. In my flesh I'm no different than the world but in the Spirit I am because I have been washed by the blood of the lamb and through the Holy Spirit I can overcome.  

Without that... I am who I was. 

But today, by the grace of God, I am what I am because of Christ.




We want that transformed life for those of the world, that's why we 'go' and share the love of God through the gospel, good news.  We have empathy for the lost and hurting, we have understanding for the drunkards and drug addicts, we have compassion for the downtrodden.   

We also share the gospel with the worldly church, man made religion, because most people going in those buildings are no more regenerated than the rest of the world.  

That doesn't mean we are to be soft on sin.  It's the word of God that slices us (Hebrews 4) and reveals what's inside, bringing it into the light and making it ready to be cleansed.  Sadly we see most hide it again and walk off into the darkness, but we are not discouraged and continue to press on...wielding the sword of truth.

Remembering who we were and who we are now in Christ, is a humbling and joyous thing.  One that encourages us to continue on, striving for truth, uncompromising, standing strong and bold on the Word of God, being a light and living witness to the truth of His Word.

Praise God for each day to serve Him!

:-)

Have a joyous day sisters,
God be praised!


Love, 
Sister Deb



The biblical gospel...