Bridges and Battling Fear

Greetings sisters,
I hope you are warm, if you're in cold climates.  We know all about the brutal winter weather of Wisconsin in the north so we're appreciating better weather in which to be out in the world spreading the gospel at this time of year.

I cling a lot to this verse:
And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death. (Revelation 12:11)

It tells me that ALL has been overcome and nothing is beneath our heavenly Father and what happens is under His watch.  When I fear, worry or doubt, I go to this verse and it's strengthening to me.  I love the last part....

"and they loved not their lives unto the death."

I don't want to love my life and have it hinder my life to the Lord because our life is to be all for Him.  Someday He may require that life from us, because of Him.  

When we travel we come across a lot of bridges and although I like to look at them, I HATE crossing them. (I've mentioned that before.)  Maybe it's because I don't trust man and in my past I've worked with engineers who are just plain old people and who knows if one didn't have a bad day when they designed the one we're going to cross?  Far stretch I know :-)

Anyway, we had to go across this one and instead of looking all the way down at the water and giving myself a stomach ache, I thought I'd grab a video for you.  




When I see the detailed structure of this bridge, I do marvel at the complexity of the human mind.  It make me think of the tower of Babel...

1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.
And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.
And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.
(Genesis 11:1-9)

(Interesting note: notice how they were all united, speaking the same language and God scattered them.  Today languages are taught to many nations, making English the most universal one and the unity of faith -ecumenicalism- is rampant, bringing everyone back together.)
Verse 6 says and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
Look at what man has imagined and is now doing today?  Years ago when I was a child I never would have dreamed you could walk down the street talking on a small piece of plastic to someone across the world, or the ability to type words and in a split second they are thousands of miles away with an answer back just as fast.  

(How many of you remember the old dial phone and you shared a land line with the neighbors? :-)


(I thought my grandparents were rich when they got one that had push buttons and didn't have to share the line:-)

Our Savior said that it will one day be like it was when in the days of Noah.  (Matthew 24)  We, sisters, need to be strong and prepare today, for that day that might come.

One day at a time, we can battle any fear that comes into our lives.  It could be the fear of a wicked death because of our faith, dying alone, severe sickness, potentially losing a spouse, children growing up and leaving into the world etc.  We all have our battles of fear and if we don't battle them day by day, when the actual day comes we will be weak.  How do you get through them?

Brother Jim is fond of saying this about battling storms.  When the weather warning says a severe storm is coming and you can't avoid it, you don't go running around outside, you hunker down in safety, hold fast and wait it out. It will pass over and on the other side the sun will end up shining.

That is how we battle our fears as well.  We don't run around making rash decisions in an instant, we need to hunker down in safety of the Word with the Lord and wait it out until it passes and we are strong again.  Then we can think clearly and decide what to do.

Often we see professed believers making rash decisions based on fear in the flesh and the end result is disaster.  Instead of resting in the Lord, taking this one day and dealing with it, they fret themselves into making wrong decisions to protect themselves and their flesh. 

When you encounter one of those BIG bridges WAY UP in the air and your fear sets in, just remember we are not to love our lives unto death and what will happen will be the Lord's will.  

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. (Ephesians 6:10)

I hope this encourages and strengthens you.

Love to you in Christ,
Sister Deb

The biblical gospel...