Lust Of The Eyes

Greetings sisters!


I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.
He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.
The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.
 The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.  (Psalm 121)

The Psalms are so comforting and strengthening, amen?  We all need that every day, remembering that our Father in heaven watches everything.  Just the other night we were blessed with a quick video chat with 3 of our grandchildren and the youngest (4yrs) said God made everything.  I told her that's right and God even knows the numbers of hairs on your head.  She slapped her hands to her face with a big wide eyed look, then started counting her hair.  So sweet are the precious little ones (my weakness if I'm not careful) but God has strengthened me past that hurdle as long as I don't allow myself go gaze there very long.

That brings me to what I wanted to talk about today.




For all that is in the world, 
the lust of the flesh, 
and the lust of the eyes, 
and the pride of life, 
is not of the Father, 
but is of the world.
(1 John 2:16)


I took that picture when we were out witnessing in a busy tourist town and that scripture came to mind.  The women who ran the place were all decked out from head to toe in all that fancy, immodest clothing, set to entice other women to do so.  That was me....years ago I was led away by the lust of my eyes and the pride I had in myself.  I'm thankful that since then have a new heart and new mind in Christ Jesus and now my spirit hates such things...but it can be a battle of the flesh even in a godly woman's life. 


Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:  But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. Do not err, my beloved brethren. (James 1:13-15)

It starts with seeing something and instead of passing over it or looking away, you gaze upon it a few more seconds than you should.  Then you might peek again, saying to yourself in your mind that it's just a quick look, not like I want it.  By then you're already being drawn away, conceiving lust which brings forth sin.

We know in our hearts immediately when we are looking, thinking or listening to something we should not be paying attention to, but what happens is that lingering thought or gaze allows satan to get a grip and weaken us in our flesh and then we make excuses to ourselves and there you go....the slippery slope into sin.


I thought that picture was a great illustration of how the world appeals to the flesh of a woman.  The outside of the building is pretty, nicely decorated and clearly shows a feminine touch.  The clothing set out shows how you can pull together a well polished, fashionable look.  The inside is decked out with soft, quality fabrics and decor, enticing women to come in and browse.

As I was standing there on the corner with brother Jim, holding my gospel sign, I watched women come and go from that shop.  They would walk by, look up and down at the building, walk a bit, hesitate then go in.  

That's how satan helps bring us into sin through our flesh.

(This is the place that the woman came out, made that brother Jim was preaching God's Word, then said she was a missionary.)

We all know what our weaknesses are, some have different ones than others.  What is a weakness to me might be a strength in another sister.  Knowing this, we need to always be on guard, protect your eyes from looking and lingering where the ought not and focus on what's important, the kingdom of God.

Praises to our King, we made it safely to our nightly destination.  He is sustaining me through some big trials and I'm thankful for each day I have so serve Him and be a helper to my godly husband.

Have a joyous day sisters.

Love in Christ,
Sister Deb


The biblical gospel...