Don't Get Caught Up in the Moment

Greetings sisters in Christ!
Brother Jim said something the other day about how we can get worked up over issues that usually turn out to be nothing. I agreed and made the comment that we are not to get caught up in the moment, and it sounded like a good post to share with you.

Life in general can be filled with trials and then if we top it off by being obedient followers of Christ, we get double our share of troubles to overcome. Amen sisters?! While we're in those trails we can get caught up in the moment and not see the big picture, therefore our view is skewed and we might work ourselves into a something that need not be.  For instance, you may have a text communication with someone and it may come across to you as rude or angry.  Instead of getting worked up you should check with them to see their intent before imagining what might be going on with that person. Pre-supposition is a problem we humans face because we tend to want to predict the outcome or 'suppose' what someone will do (or is thinking) instead of just waiting to see.

Another way we can get caught up in the moment is to focus on the issue going on, instead of focusing on things above and then looking at our issues through the eyes of God's Word, and weighing it against eternity.  By this I mean you could have a hard time with your husband, then the children act up, the clean floor has fresh mud tracked in, the dinner burned to the bottom of the pan and you're battling physical issues.  You know, one of those days.  When those days happen, we need to not look at that day full of troubles and instead look to Christ and what He's done for us. We need to look at the scope of life through eternity and then go back and deal with those issues in light of what really matters and what doesn't.  If this was your last day on earth, how big would those matters be when you are standing at the door of eternity?  It's a rather sobering thought isn't it?

I learned just yesterday how to not get caught up in the moment when we're out on the streets witnessing.  We went to a small town (that brings in over 6 million tourists each year) to walk the 'pedestrian only' street while proclaiming the gospel good news and calling people to repentance.  I put on the armor of God (Ephesians 6) and got myself ready to be a laughing stock before the world.  As we walked down the street, among all the people filling the lust of their flesh, brother Jim preached and we held our signs...walking all the way to one end, turning around and walking back. The first pass down and back was a bit intimidating because I was in my flesh, watching them stare, get angry, mock, laugh etc. as we walked among them, elbow to elbow.  By the time we were heading down for the next round, I had laid down my flesh and was walking in the Spirit, handing out gospel cards to anyone who wanted one. (Surprisingly I handed out about 30 gospel cards.  I hold my hand out and offer the card and people walk up to take it.)


Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.  They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
1 John 4:4-6

Last night we were pretty tired but didn't get to bed until midnight and of course brother Jim fell asleep right away.  God has blessed him in that he has no troubles falling asleep at night:-)  I, on the other hand, go through times when I have insomnia and although my body was physically exhausted, I didn't fall asleep until 3:30 am to be woke up 4 hours later by a garbage man and leaf blowing guy. (That's what you get when you sleep in parking lots:-)  I had to work hard at not getting caught up in the moment last night when I really wanted to sleep, but I kept telling myself that God will give me what I need for today and He did. In these ways He shows His power:-)


Blessed be the Lord, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
Psalm 28:6-7

We need to strive to live in the Spirit so we won't allow our flesh to rise or fall according to our circumstances.  Of course we will have times to weep and times to rejoice but we need to be in the Spirit at all times lest we be overcome by the flesh and swept away in those 'feelings' instead of the strength of the Holy Spirit within us.


This is what I was rewarded with this morning,
a pond on the other side of the parking lot.  
What a nice surprise:-)


We are working our way across the state to meet up with a brother in the Lord who is working hard to eliminate the distractions in his life so he can focus on the Lord and a ministry.  Once again, we marvel at God's timing but that's a story for another time.  

I pray you are standing strong, taking each day as it comes, conquering your flesh and allowing the Spirit to be your strength and guide.


Love in Christ,

Sister Deb



The biblical gospel...