DIY Solar Cooker (Sun Oven)

Greetings sisters in Christ!  
Rejoice with me in this day the Lord has given us to glorify His name! We have been very busy, praise God, and are getting a lot of work done around here.  We are so thankful for the opportunity.

Bother Jim cut me a bunch of cedar chunks to split for my cedar bin because cedar is great for blasting the wood stove when I cook on it. He taught me how to use the big ax with minimal effort.  (He had the minimal effort :-)  




I can only do a small amount at a time but it won't be long and it will be full.  One day at a time, a little here and a little there and it all adds up.  I learn a lot of patience as I get older and struggle through trials but it makes me appreciate it all the more.

So in a previous post I mentioned how years ago we made a solar cooker (sun oven, whatever you want to call it) from recycled materials and guess what?  We did it again!  I had mentioned it to brother Jim and one day he brought out a round piece of glass that he saved from a table top.  He said maybe we can use that for part of it and when I walked around the back of the shop I saw just what we needed for it.


It starts with a tire rim...




...and a rack...








Here's the piece of glass.  

Does anyone know where I'm going with this?









Add a sun reflecting visor...




Any guesses yet?

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.





Here it is!  That glass worked out perfectly in the base of a grill!  If look close you will see two white plastic holders  (4 and 7 o'clock) that keep the glass from sliding off, all I have to do is lay it on top of the grill and they hold it from sliding off.

Brother Jim found a big piece of cedar to set it up on in the garden area which will get the most sunlight during the day.   



Here it is cooking rice.




Which turned out great!  




I have't got a thermometer (yet) so I don't know how hot it gets, but from the touch, nice and hot. I've had enough experience cooking meals but never have tried baking bread in it so I have to do some research with trial and error.  I love simple things like this because it not only saves power but our Father cooks it for us! 

Tomorrow we will be picking up our barrels for the garden and working to set that up, I'll share the progress with you.  I will have to work hard to contain myself from planting anything because we are planning on heading on down the road, Lord willing, soon.

Praise God for each day to work hard with our hands and enjoy the fruits of our labor.

Blessings to you sisters and I leave you with this:



Love in Christ,
Sister Deb

The biblical gospel...