Homemade Pizza

Greetings sisters in Christ!
Today we woke up to rain but not long after the sun came out.  There's something uplifting about the sunshine (most of the time:-) after coming out of a darker winter like some areas have.  Brother Jim has been working on cleaning up some wood piles around here and we'll likely get more wood cut and stocked up while we're here.  He also started a mulch pile for a potential future garden.  Who knows what the future holds and we're just preparing is all.




Speaking of preparing, I prepared some homemade pizza yesterday and let me tell you, brother Jim was super excited!  I know there are tons of recipes for pizza but I'll share mine with you just because.  When we were in Wisconsin and had electricity, I made pizza a lot because we consider it a regular meal with ingredients that we eat anyway.  Bread, tomatoes and cheese is basically what it is and I add mushrooms on top and it's relatively inexpensive to make.

Here's my recipe, smudges and all...



I normally mix the ingredients all together without proofing the yeast and it works out fine.  It all depends on the yeast, you can do as you like.




Drizzle in some olive oil (I hardly measure)...





Add the water and stir it until it looks shaggy...






Then I hand knead it.  I've found that I'd rather have it too moist to begin with and have to add flour than to have a dry lump and try to add moisture to it.  Once again, this is all trial and error for the cook because all flour works differently, some yeast is stronger than others etc.  

Dough making is one of those gray areas (to me anyway) that you have to learn how to work with it until you come up with what works for you. My bread products don't always turn out the way I want but brother  Jim says they are all great!  The trick is, if something doesn't turn out very good, put peanut butter on it and serve it with a cup of coffee or tea....works every time:-)

Back to the pizza now...You can use a rolling pin to stretch it further and make it thinner or you can just hand pat it out in whatever shape it turns into.  I just wing it and it is what it is:-)





(I saved a couple fresh mushrooms before I dried them all.  You can read about that HERE.)

We have a little toaster oven that we run off our big generator (the one we run the well) and it cooks perfectly every single time.  (I actually got it for $6 at a thrift store, in 'like new' condition.)  Brother Jim was pretty excited about homemade pizza as it's been over a year since I've been able to make it since we were on the road.





I also like to use this recipe for garlic cheese bread.  I make the dough but add a big scoop of minced garlic (the kind you buy in a jar)



...and knead it in.  (You could use garlic powder if you like.) Then I pat it out on the pan, spread some olive oil on it, sprinkle Italian spices over it then top with a small amount of grated cheese.  Bake like normal and then rip off hunks of it while you eat soup:-)

Speaking of soup, I was telling brother Jim I want to make some chicken soup broth and since we hardly buy meat, I was thinking that we might get some chicken so that I could.  We were in the store and while we were looking at the discount shelf by the deli, the woman asked if we wanted anything.  Brother Jim asked if they had a chicken strip (he gets one as a treat once in a while) and she said no they were out, but they had discounted pieces of chicken.  She then held up a huge tray of baked chicken for $2.50. Needless to say I will be making chicken soup broth and brother Jim gets a chicken treat for a small price.

While we were in the store I found some discounted peppers:



They are normally $1.50 each but I got all 3 for $1.  They had another bag so I got both and plan to use them in broth and we also like fried potatoes and peppers.  

There's my keeper at home update for today:-)  I'll admit that I love being on the homestead, doing the keeper at home things.  We were just talking that our flesh likes this life but it won't be long that we will embark on our next 'on the road' mission, sharing the gospel, Lord willing, which our Spirit rejoices in.

I hope that just seeing a sister in Christ, obediently taking care of her home, sharing the stories of the day and shining some cheer into your life, is an encouragement to you.

I leave you with some flowers from our Father...



...and a video of a turkey vulture flying over our land.  We see them a lot and get to enjoy their graceful flight.



Have a joyous day sisters.
Love in Christ,
Sister Deb



The biblical gospel...