Pickled Carrots

Greetings to my Titus2 keeper at home sisters!

I tell ya, I'm in my element here on the homestead, being able to do some of these things I love to do.  Hand washing clothes, cooking on the woodstove, collecting kindling sticks for winter, pickling things...oh how my flesh longs for that garden and all the other homestead things but I'm thankful for the brief time here to do so before (Lord willing) we head out on the road again.



I grabbed some cheap seeds from the store for 'just in case'.  I used to buy seeds online and from some of the catalogs, pouring over them for hours every January trying to figure out which ones I wanted. Here's the truth, the best green bean crop I ever got was from the cheap seeds, just like these 4/$1 and 2/$1.  The rest of my crops were just fine with regular, affordable seeds.  (You all make your own mind, I'm not here to make you feel bad if you choose to do otherwise.)

Pickled carrots.  Yum!  We found a jar at the discount store for under $1 so we got it to go with our bread and cheese lunches, what a treat. It's really easy...

All you need is carrots, vinegar, sugar, salt and water. I started out by making just one pint so here's my measurements, you can adjust according to your amount.

Carrots (Scrub and slice into strips or coins.)
1/2 Cup vinegar
1 -2 Tablespoons sugar (you can omit this if you want)
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/3 Cup of water

(makes 1 pint)




* While you are scrubbing and cutting the carrots, bring everything else to a boil.
* Line your jar with the carrots and pour the solution over them.
* Let it all cool and there you have it. Pickled carrots ready for dinner.

You can see in the picture above I pickled some cabbage also.  It was okay but not our favorite so when it was emptied I filled it with pickled carrots.  Well, we'd already eaten many of them before the picture...




Carrots are one of the cheapest vegetables we can buy here so this will be something I try to remember to incorporate into our van life as well. 

They are not shelf stable for very long and are called refrigerator pickles, meaning you need to keep them cool.  If you want shelf stable pickled goods you would need to waterbath can them but I'm not sure how that would turn out.

Thanks for letting me share a simple recipe with you.




Have a joyous day and praise God for being able to do what we do.

Blessings to you,
Sister Deb



The Biblical gospel...