Container Gardening

Greetings sisters in Christ!
Today is another day to serve the Lord, praise God! I hope this finds you all in good health? 

 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

One of the projects we have been plugging away at here is our garden.  We were not intending to set one up but this year, with everything going on, we decided it would be good to have one ready if or when we need it.  We've done container gardening before and it worked out well so we decided to do so again.  

We bought a bunch of plastic barrels:




Brother Jim cut them in half, made some holes in the bottom and lower sides for drainage and we placed them in the area of the garden.  Our land by the house has a gentle slope but we this area should work just fine.




I went and dug up a lot of rocks to put in the bottom of each barrel for filler and to help in drainage. 





We then put some leaves over the rocks and then a couple bags of top soil and mixed in a half bag of manure.





On top of that all we put a scoop of rabbit manure that we bought from someone who raises rabbits.




To finish it off we topped it with a bunch of leaves and a few pieces of wood to hold them down.  Since we aren't going to be around we wanted to keep the soil protected and also let the leaves decompose for more nourishment.  




Brother Jim has some compost bins going, here are 2 of them. He's got 3 now and working on a 4th one.



He's put leaves in them, added sawdust from when we had our carving business and we put veggie & fruit scraps, coffee grounds, egg shells, peelings etc in it also.

I have rocks to gather for 6 more barrels and then we'll be done with that part of it.  I'll tell ya, it takes a long time to gather those rocks but one at a time and they add up:-) 

Once we get the containers done we will see how the layout is for a couple ground beds with one possibly being a small hoop house.  We'll see what we have for timing and if we wait until fall. 

We're going to have some water barrels in the garden and along the shop roof so that we don't always have to run the well.  I found a few pictures from our water catchment system we had in Wisconsin before we sold the place:







I'm not sure how many or what we're doing here in Missouri but I'll share that when the time comes that we do it.

At this time we're not planning on setting up the fence or doing any other work until maybe this fall. I told brother Jim I really have to kill my flesh because I want to plant something :-)  But we have the work of the Lord to do, Lord willing, we will go to do that once we're done here.  We're thankful for the time to do all this!




I'm excited for you sisters who are able to garden and I'm sure you will do a good job at it!  I love seeing pics of gardens (and pics of any other home maker tasks) as it's encouraging to know you are out there being keepers of the home, leading a quiet life, working with your hands and minding your own business. 1 Thessalonians 4:11. Yes it is a lot of work but it's so satisfying to eat from the fruits of your labor, especially in the winter months after it's all done.  

Blessings and love to you,
Sister Deb


The biblical gospel...