Solar Dehydrating Corn (Frozen and Canned)

Greetings sisters in Christ!
Lately the weather brings us warm breezes and hot sun by the latter part of the day so I'll be putting to good use all that heat!  Since I got my Solar Dehydrator I've dried a lot of mushrooms, and corn and it works great either in the utility cabin with our wood stove or out in the sun on my clothes line.




(Look way in the back on the right side and you can see some of our container gardening.)


Yesterday I started the process with frozen corn (partially thawed) by putting it in the dehydrator out in the sun. By the end of the day it was beginning to dry but had a long way to go so we put it in the utility room with the wood stove going overnight and by morning it was almost done.  The fire was out but the sun was warming up the place through the windows so I let it stay in there all day and it finished the job.  I had 2 lbs of corn in each of the top four layers and then 5 cans of corn, drained and added to the next two lower layers and I was a bit skeptical of loading it that heavy for fear it would wear on the mesh screens but it held up nicely.  


This bag was 8 lbs of frozen corn dried up to fit in less than a gallon bag.





In this next picture you can see how 5 cans of corn dried up into less than half of a gallon sized bag.



We really like corn so I plan on drying as much as I can before the humidity hits here or we leave on the road, whichever comes first.  I found corn for .50 cents per can, which is a good deal and sometimes we can find it less than that.  Either way, if you pay more it's still a good deal to dry....know why?  Because with the way prices are going to be going up, regardless of what you pay today, it will cost mores soon so we consider it an investment that grows in value!

I don't know if you've heard it or not but many people say that 'corn has no nutritional value' but it distresses me to hear that because everything our Father made is GOOD!  Amen! 

I just loaded the dryer up with a load of canned corn and let it sit in the sun all day.  Now it's in the utility room and I don't plan on starting a fire so hopefully it will be dry tomorrow but we'll see because there's supposed to be rain coming.  

Some people may wonder the value of drying food vs keeping it in the freezer or can.  There are many people (like us) that live in small spaces and dehydrating can allow a person to store much more in a small area.  It's also great for those who have fluctuating temperatures like us being off grid.  We don't have a heater going in the winter so when we leave the house, nothing freezes if it's dry.   It also lasts a long time even if it gets warm and I know this for a fact because we are eating off vegetables I dried 6-7 years ago that have survived the heat and travel.  Years ago at our other homestead, we had electricity and I used to run 2 electric dehydrators from early summer through fall and into winter and our power bill didn't go up very much at all so it's definitely worth it if you are planning on long term food storage.  Dry food is great for travel also because it's very light weight!

You might be wondering how dehydrated canned corn tastes compared to dehydrated frozen corn.  Just fine!  For some reason when you dehydrate foods, they have a more robust flavor than beforehand. 

Som if you are interested in drying foods for storage or whatever reason, I encourage you to look into the different options available.  Hanging dehydrators like the one I have (there are various options), electric, some people use their oven on low, I've dried food on top of the wood stove and some people have built outside dehydrators.  

It's a satisfying, keeper of the home job for sure!

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
James 1:17

I leave you with this awesome sunset.




Blessings,
Sister Deb


The biblical gospel...