Preaching and Pottage-Red Lentil Soup Recipe (with videos)

 Good evening to my obedient sisters in the Lord!

How was (or is) your day?  I made a video for you before we headed out to go do some witnessing at an event.


It turned out to be an awesome place for preaching as the people were lined up waiting to get into the festival, so we walked along them until we got to the entrance then stood there throughout the rest of the day. You can see the videos HERE if you are interested.  It was a very full day of sharing the truth of God's Word and we were joyous that many gospel cards were taken.  We don't massively hand them out but instead we stand off to the side and hold them out, letting people make the effort to reach or walk over to get one.  Praise God for the truth to go out and we pray there was a sheep among them.  Well, there was this woman who took a card, made a cross sign, smiled and walked off before I could say anything.  She came back later and thanked us for the card and talked for a bit of which we gave her much truth to think about.  She was very kind and after she left she turned around and asked me to pray for her (of which I said I would) as she walked off.   There were some younger people who took cards also.  There were many children there which was sad but yet joyous because we got a lot of smiles and waves.  There was one young girl who I waved at and she stuck out her tongue and gave a thumbs down to me.  I thought of....

2 Kings 2:23-24 

And he went up from thence unto Beth-el: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. [24] And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

Not the same situation and I'm sure the 'children' in the bible were older (based on context that I won't go into here) but it made me think of the disrespect of the truth and those who bring it.  Don't let such things burden you sisters, just keep marching on and pressing through.

1 Peter 5:8-11 

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: [9] Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. [10] But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. [11] To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

I figured I'd be busy tonight after our witnessing so I took you through a bit of our day with some videos.

















Here's the recipe if you're interested in making a Lentil soup (for 2) in a little thermos.  
It won't do much good for those of you who cook for more people but maybe it might bring a smile to you that some of us have to learn how to cook in small batches:-)  


I add cumin and salt.



Apparently red lentils cook faster than green.



My favorite veggies in this soup are potatoes, onions and carrot.
You can use any you like.


Heat it up.



Put it in the thermos.



I put it in an insulated bag but you can wrap in a towel or something to help keep the heat in.
My thermos just a simple double wall insulated thermos, nothing fancy or expensive. (In fact I got it for $2.00 at a resale shop.) 

I was thinking about Esau and the red pottage (of lentils)...


Genesis 25:34 

Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright.


...and what he did.  Let us not do so sisters, strive on to the glory of God and press on until the end. I pray for you all and am here to help encourage you on!

(I thought you might find this picture interesting...)


It's of two grown men, one on the handle bars of the bike and then they shot right into the woods on a well worn path.  We suspect they are homeless and the way the driver handled the bike, it seems as if they've done this many times.  I don't know what to say about that but it seems we seem to fit in well with what brother Jim calls the 'underbelly' of society.  Anyway, it's getting on in the night, I'm getting pretty tired and I have more things to do for brother Jim before we get to bed for the evening. I think we may stand out of a religious body tomorrow morning and maybe go back to the last day of that festival, we shall see, Lord willing.

Oh before I go, I want to share this verse.

John 9:4 

I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.

Brother Jim has been using that verse lately, a sister just shared it with me and we heard a false teacher use it (one that brother Jim was testing). So true, very true sisters, let us work diligently while it is day.

Love to you all, in the name of our mighty Savior, and tomorrow I shall share more, Lord willing.

Sister Deb


The GOSPEL is the foundation of a new life in Christ.