Christian Women's Shirts What are the Best Options?

Good morning sisters!
I pray you are standing strong in the Lord and not letting this world weaken you!

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and the power of His might.  Ephesians 6:10

We have several articles about biblical clothing on our discernment blog and I have some posted here on the sister blog as well and I have a simple pattern for a quick sew skirt you can find here: 
https://titus24sisters.blogspot.com/2019/03/sew-simple-2-panel-skirt.html


But I didn't talk about what to look for in shirts to go with skirts.






I personally prefer skirts and shirts for the most part because they seem to add a bit more coverage and allow more flow than most dresses....but I'm not saying all dresses are unbiblical we just have to be careful in what we choose and keep these in consideration:

1. If the dress is made of heavier material it will not cling to the whole body like a lightweight but it might hang heavier upon the bosom area and potentially expose that more.  

2.  If a dress is not heavy, the thin material seems to cling more to the body when moving around unless there is another loose covering.

It depends on the woman's build, the material and cut etc, just keep them super big and baggy and use your own discernment.  If you have to ask your husband if it's okay then it's almost always not.

So on to the shirts. I also prefer shirts and skirts because it's simpler for me to wash shirts on the road than full size dresses and oftentimes a skirt can be worn many times before needing a wash whereas a dress (unless it's a jumper with a shirt under it) needs washing more often.  At least that's what I find anyway.

The biggest deal on shirts would be size and fabric.  Shirts should be long and loose with a material that flows and moves, not clings. T-shirts for most women are not good unless you have another layer over it like a vest or something because the material clings and hangs where it shouldn't.  (Now for little girls who are not developed a loose T-shirt with a skirt would suffice for a few years, you can even make dresses by adding material on to the bottom of the shirt.  Or you can take a larger T-shirt, cut the sleeves of and make it into a jumper dress to go over a T-shirt underneath for her. The good thing about Tshirt material is that it rolls so you really don't need a seam on it. )

See the article here that shows how to do a simple Tshirt dress:
https://titus24sisters.blogspot.com/2019/03/sew-simple-girls-t-shirt-dress.html



I personally like button up shirts for women because you can find them loose and long and they are easy to adapt for fit, meaning if the sleeves are long I cut them to the elbow.  If they are super sized and you can see up my sleeve I narrow the opening.  If they are so long that when I bend over they cling to my backside (sometimes men's shirts do that) I hem up the bottom so they flow more.  If they are so huge that the wind will blow them up, I take them in a bit.  My favorite is if I can find them with pockets because they add a bit more bulk in that area for better coverage as well.  Granted, because most women are endowed in the chest there is no getting away from totally concealing that area but we must do the best we can.  Every day you get dressed, dress for our Lord and Savior, not for your husband or man.

In case you haven't seen the picture of us, this is my typical type of clothing:

And that's my husband Jim :-)
I also like to encourage women to try to stick with a couple colors if possible.  This eliminates the 'this looks good with that' type mindset and kills the flesh of 'I like this color or that'.  Guess what?  I never liked blue shirts, especially light blue, and it seems that's about the main color I have found so far for shirts so that's what I go with. But I don't care because we are not to worry about our outsides as that's pride and vanity if we do!  Now I'm thankful for clothing to cover my body. 

I hope this has been an encouragement for you, let me know if you have any questions.

Have a joyous day and God be praised!

Sister Deb


The biblical gospel...