What I Wear for a Headcovering

Greetings Sisters!
I hope this evening you are doing well and standing strong in the Lord!  Jim and I just did a quick video for our Married and in the Word series (we do that on our ministry blog dontperish.com under videos) talking about rejoicing, no matter what the circumstance. What a great reminder because we can get swept away in the troubles of this world if we aren't careful.  Anyway I thought I would share with you some thoughts on headcovering and what I do.  (I'm not saying you need to do what I do, I just want to share with you what I have found to be the most covering and comfortable.)

I'll also do a video at some point but for now I have some pictures and will describe how I cover.  

I found a big lightweight scarf on Amazon for $9.  

It was 70" x 40".

I cut it in half so I had 2 squares, enough for 2 headcoverings!  

Then I took one of them and folded it over to make a triangle. 



I measured it so you have an idea of the size for full coverage.  Then I put my hair up and tie the scarf to my head in a single tie, not like a knot because I don't like that big knot on my neck.  Like this...



I tie mine very loose on my head, you can tie yours however you like. Then when you're ready, you put up your hair and pull it on like a cap:-)  If you tied it loose enough that works but if you like yours tight then you will want to tie it each time on your head.  I don't like the tight ones because they hurt too much by the end of the day. 

In the winter time I wear it like this, it has a long coverage in the back with the 2 long tails. 







I use a couple bobby pins to hold it or sometimes depending on if I have to put on winter headgear over it, I might use a tighter clip, they make all kinds.  



You can pull the tails in front if you want...



You can see how mine fits, I have just a bit of hair showing in the front and I wear it more forward for full coverage. (I will admit, putting pictures of me on the internet is painful because I'm a private person but because I love you sisters I'm willing to kill my flesh if it will be a help to you:-) 

Just a note: Jim and I have talked and we don't see any mandate to pull the front hair really tight back on top, that's a personal choice.  I put my hair up looser with this kind of headcovering which eliminates some of the pain by the end of the day and because it's a loose fit covering, it doesn't come off as easy when it's pulled.  The really tight ones seem to pop off and down the back because of the pressure.  These kind fit like a cap and rest lightly on the head.

In the summer time I like to pin up the long part in the back like this...



That lifts a bit of it off your back for summer heat but still gives a lot of coverage.  I've tried MANY different headcoverings and this is my favorite and the easiest.

I hope this has helped you and I will try to do a video of it at some point as well as ideas how to put up hair under it a bit more loosely if you are interested.  I haven't found a way to put  up hair that doesn't hurt at all, they all do somewhat but the looser you go the less pain, therefore a loose covering helps as well.

Keep in mind that headcoverings are to be plain.  It is not an adorning for your head, it's a covering. It should look like a cloth that is tied or wrapped (however you do it) and should have full coverage all over. 

If you don't have a scarf to do this, I know how to make a headcovering in just minutes with a Tshirt, scissors and a few safety pins.  Check out that post here, it's got a video of it as well.  
https://titus24sisters.blogspot.com/2019/03/fast-and-easy-no-sew-headcovering.html

Before I go I wanted to say this....if you are just learning coverings and have nothing to use, you can get a light weight dish towel, cut some fabric from a pillowcase, sheet, a big old shirt you don't use etc and use that until you find a fabric that works for you. (We know a sister who when she learned, went right into the kitchen and used her dish towel until she was able to get something else.) If you don't have a sewing machine you can easily hand sew the seams if need be.  I also like a lightweight polyester material because you can cut it without sewing the edges because it doesn't unravel.  

I'm thankful for the opportunity to share with you sisters and hope it helps some of you.

Love in Christ,
Sister Deb


The biblical gospel