Raisin Cakes and Matzah

Greetings sisters in Christ!  
If you were here I would set a place for you to share our lunch and give thanks unto the Lord.  Some day we shall all be with Him if we endure in the faith, obediently until the end. 

One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in his temple.
Psalm 27:4

In an audio/video I did the other day I mentioned how I'm working on building up our food storage here on the land, now that we finally have time to do so and we're enjoying the disount food store for what they offer as we've been finding some great deals.  (What's been going on in your home?) The last time we were there brother Jim found a big  (BIG) box of super cheap Matzah (some say matzah, some say matzo and it's like a cracker) so we got it.  It's made of wheat and water and it has the texture of a stale cracker.  We, in the US, are used to saltines, chips, crispy things and so this took a little bit to get used to but it's growing on us.  (I love the simplicity of 2 ingredients.)  Yes, this is a Jewish thing but that has absolutely nothing to do with why we purchased them, it's a healthy, simple food the way we look at it.

I set up lunch outside on the porch...




Thermal cooked soup, pickled carrots and a matzah cracker with soft cheese and olives on it.



Check out the size of those things, they're huge!  It's fun to top them and then break into bite size pieces.  They are great with peanut butter and jam or what we did the other day....

Brother Jim found a small package of super thin sliced salami for $1.  (He REALLY likes salami but tries to save it as a treat.)  He bought a package of it so I decided to put some soft cheese on a cracker (got an awesome deal for .49 cents on organic soft cheese) and laid some salami on it...mmmmm.  What a treat for us.  It's good with kipper snacks (or sardines) and could be crumbled up at the bottom of a bowl with soup poured over.  It reminds me of the depression cookbooks using lots of crackers for fillers.  (Bread is a great filler as well.) 

It's sad that carbs have gotten a bad rap (I used to be on that 'no carb' wagon for a while but I'm glad to have fallen off it) because there are inexpensive ways to nourish yourself without getting caught up in the new fad ways of eating.  Anyway, before I get sidetracked on simple foods and not worrying about what the world says we should eat, let me share about the raisin cake that I mentioned in the title.

Years ago, (like 6) back in Wisconsin we did our last stock up and in that was a big box of raisins.  (Bro Jim REALLY likes dried fruits especially raisins.)  We took that box of raisins and I stupidly stuffed them into a big bucket.  I smashed them down until the entire box fit inside and then put it under the shelf in our pantry.  We ate off them here and there but somehow they got shoved toward the back (I had a pantry FULL of stock up foods) and forgotten until we sold the Wisconsin house.  I drug that half bucket down here and it got pushed away until last year.  One day I came across them in our storage and opened the lid to find them like one big lump but none would come out.  I picked for hours, one raisin at a time until my fingertips were sore, and had a 1 gallon ziploc bag full.  I told brother Jim I can't do anymore and maybe he could figure out a way to get them out.  They were forgotten again as we were traveling until just the other day.  We dug out the bucket and brother Jim beat on the bottom until they came out...


  

And we had a good laugh about what it looked like :-)  Makes us think of raisin cakes in the bible, whatever those were, it might have been like this?  

Jim took a big knife and cut chunks off while I bagged them up.  Now keep in mind those raisins are 6 years old...so much for food expiration dates!  (We have a couple buckets of honey that are older than these and it's still fine.)

By the looks of it we could live off Matzah crackers and raisins for a while :+)  BTW, brother Jim said that those crackers would be good with honey and raisins!  Hey, we could eat dinner and dessert off those things LOL!

I thought this would bring a smile to your day and I hope yours is a joyous one.  

I leave you with a picture of God's amazing creation.



Blessings and peace to you all :-)

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Sister Deb



The biblical gospel...