The Dangers of a Perfectionist Mindset

Greetings sisters in Christ!
As I was getting things ready for our departure, I was sewing some curtain / coverings for my shelves in the van (see the post on our camper van HERE) and having troubles with the machine.  Well, as it was pointed out to me that it was operator error because I have no clue about the particular details on running the machine, all I do is step on the power pedal and go.  I would do well if I could sew a straight line but it escapes me.  I can't see straight, can't draw straight and certainly can't guide brother Jim straight when he's trying to hook up a trailer.  (You can read how we took care of that HERE.)

It made me think of how we sisters are all different (I can't sew well and some of you can sew great :-) and need to be sure that we are not falling into the trap of perfectionism. I know God's Word says to do all things heartily unto Him (Colossians 3) but we should also be balanced lest we be stuck perfecting one thing and lose sight of all the rest.





I used to be a perfectionist in many areas of my life before I was born again and my outlook changed.  I used to do everything as perfect as I could for my own satisfaction, now I do all things for Christ yet do them in a way that I am freed up to perfect my walk and faith in Him, instead of focusing on things of this life.


Being a perfectionist can cause many issues in the home, especially when we hold others accountable to our standard and what satisfies us.  This can turn into a discouraging problem with children who try to reach that level of perfection and always fail.  Or that standard may be held over the husband (or others who may live with you) who don't feel the same way.  It can discourage us if we can't even meet our own expectations!  Some areas of concern are in keeping house, how you look, organization, gardens, yards, sewing, cooking, projects etc.

I'm not saying that us women should be careless, carefree and dirty but what we should be is balanced, especially when we have others in the house.  We all need to seek that level of balance in our own lives and allow others (children within reason) to determine theirs as well.

This mindset can carry over into judgement of others if we're not careful and our level of what is acceptable to su may be totally different than someone else's...that's what makes us all unique and adds to the body of Christ.


13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
14 For the body is not one member, but many.
15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?
20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.
21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:
23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.
24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked.
25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.

27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

1 Corinthians 12:13-27

Praise God we can have the freedom to be who we are in Christ, doing all things to the glory of God and encouraging one another on. Brother Jim says "Let's leave perfectionism to God as He is perfect."








Have a joyous day sisters.
Love in Christ,
Sister Deb


The biblical gospel..